Last updated: June 7, 2018 at 8:39 am
I don’t have to tell you that bananas are amazing fruit. You know that I’m sure. Bananas contain a lot of fibers and different types of sugar (sucrose, fructose, glucose) – more than any other fruit. Bananas provide an instant and nutritious amount of energy. Numerous research shows that eating 2 bananas per day ensure enough energy for 90 minutes hard work. Also, there are many other healthy benefits of banana.
The banana is an edible fruit, botanically a berry, produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa. In some countries, bananas used for cooking may be called plantains, in contrast to dessert bananas. The fruit is variable in size, color and firmness, but is usually elongated and curved, with soft flesh rich in starch covered with a rind which may be green, yellow, red, purple, or brown when ripe.
How many calories are there in bananas?
Bananas, one, medium size:
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 0.4g
- Calories: 105
- 5.2% PDV*
*Percent Daily Values (PDV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. These values are for information purposes only.
How to burn 105 calories?
Swimming: 9 mins
Running: 13 mins
Jogging: 15 mins
Walking: 28 mins
What are the healthy benefits of banana?
Bananas help us to stay in good shape. They are good for prevention from many diseases. Because of that bananas have become an integral part of our nutrition.
This incredible fruit is super food which is very useful for your organism.
Energy is not the only reason why bananas are awesome. There are many other benefits of banana. Why should you use bananas for?
1. Banana benefits for weight loss
You are struggling with extra pounds plus you spend a lot of time at work? The study conducted at the Institute of Psychology in Austria shows that stress and pressure at work lead to overeating chocolate and snacks.
The researchers were observing 5000 patients and noted that the overweight patients were more exposed to stress and pressure at their jobs. Researchers concluded that stress leads to sugar craving.
So to prevent weight gain you should regulate your blood sugar level by eating food rich in good carbohydrates every two hours. And the best choice is a banana.
Research conducted among people who suffer from depression show that many of them felt better after eating bananas.
Bananas contain tryptophan, a protein which your body turns into serotonin. Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter whose role is to relax you, improve your mood and make you happier.
3. Premenstrual syndrome
Forget about pills – eat a banana, instead. Bananas have vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose level and improves your mood.
Bananas are rich in iron and stimulate the production of hemoglobin, which helps for prevention from anemia.
Lack of potassium and excessive consummation of salt has a negative impact on your organism, especially on your blood pressure. One banana contains 460 mg of potassium and 1 mg of sodium. So, it’s desirable to eat one banana in the morning to keep normal blood pressure level.
Bananas are a great source of potassium, which is essential for a normal heartbeat.
Bananas contain a lot of fiber and pectin- which is helpful for detoxification and improves digestion. Also, bananas reduce bloating and help with diarrhea and constipation.
Stress can lower the potassium level, which affects your metabolism negatively. Potassium regulates the water level in your body which helps you to release stress.
You should eat a banana if you have an intestinal disorder. Bananas have a soft texture and they are light so they are very good for this condition. Also, bananas neutralize stomach acid and reduce stomach irritations.
According to research published in New England Journal of Medicine, you can reduce the risk of stroke up to 40% by eating bananas daily.
Bananas can help you if you want to quit smoking. Bananas are rich in vitamins B6, B12, sodium, and potassium which help your organism recover from nicotine intake.
Interesting facts about bananas:
- Banana’s Latin name is Musa sapientum, which means “fruit of the wise men.
- Some cultures use the fiber in the banana plant to make fabric and sometimes even paper.
- More than 100 billion bananas are eaten every year in the world, making them the fourth most popular agricultural product.
- Americans eat an average of 27 pounds of bananas per person every year.
- More than 96 percent of American households buy bananas at least once a month.
- 51 percent of bananas are eaten for breakfast at home.
- The highest average consumption of bananas in the world is in Uganda, where residents eat an average of 500 pounds of bananas per person every year.
- India produces more bananas than any other country on the planet, accounting for about 28 percent of the worldwide crop.
- A man in India once ate 81 bananas in half an hour.
- More songs have been written about bananas than about any other fruit.
What you can use a banana peel for:
- Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on a mosquito bite will help keep it from itching and getting inflamed.
- If you rub the inside of a banana peel on a scrape or burn, it will help the pain go away, keep the swelling down, and keep the wound from getting infected.
- If you rub the inside of a small piece of banana peel on a wart every night (or tape a piece of peel over the wart), the potassium in the peel can make the wart disappear in one to two weeks.
- If you tape a banana peel over a splinter, the enzymes help the splinter work its way out of your skin (and also heal the wound).
- To whiten teeth naturally, rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for about two minutes every night. READ MORE: Best ways to whiten teeth
- You can cure a headache by rubbing a banana peel on your forehead
- Bananas and banana peels make great fertilizer because of their phosphorous and potassium content. They are good for your garden, especially for your roses.
- Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on houseplant leaves makes the leaves shiny.
- You can use the inside of a banana peel for polish leather shoes.
Bananas are a real gift from nature so enjoy eating this amazing fruit and in the meantime take advantage of its various benefits.