Last updated: August 14, 2018 at 6:29 am
You may or may not have heard about this term – clean eating diet.
The term “clean” is very popular lately.
Do you know what does it mean?
It’s a diet regime and lifestyle change which includes ingredients in their most natural and raw form.
The emphasis is on fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, wholegrain cereals, legumes, but also on animal products.
Clean eating diet plan means giving up processed food and artificially made ingredients.
Actually, the point is not to eat food whose list of ingredients you can’t pronounce.
In addition, you should limit the intake of salt and sugar.
You should choose seasonal fruit and vegetables and prepare your food as much as possible.
If you want to implement this diet regime and lose weight you should take into account that you need to control the size of your portions.
The clean eating concept represents a healthy and balanced diet consisted of healthy and quality ingredients. (1)
3 simple tips how to start clean eating diet effectively:
1. Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables.
Find a way to include various vegetables in your diet.
You will feel better and you will stop worrying about different labels and declarations.
Although clean eating doesn’t mean eating vegetables only, including more veggies in your meals will make your diet more balanced.
Check out our list of the best vegetables for weight loss.
2. Be careful with fake healthy foods
When you go to the store avoid buying products like energy bars that are actually sweets wrapped in a different package – that are fake healthy foods.
Not every store product and half-ready food is bad, but in many cases, these products hide surprising ingredients, so read the labels carefully.
3. Be moderate
Don’t forget to enjoy your food.
The purpose of clean eating is to cut out processed ingredients without any nutritious value.
However, feel free to treat yourself with a piece of cake, or a slice of pizza instead of salad from time to time.
So, it’s ok to break the rules sometimes because the key is to be moderate and not to exaggerate.
Here is the list of the healthiest ingredients to include in this type of diet:
- Cereals: Quinoa, brown rice, oat flakes, whole-wheat tortillas
- Nuts: Pistachio, walnut, almond
- Low-fat source of proteins: Chicken, turkey, fish, beans, egg whites
- Vegetables: Zucchini, avocado, cauliflower, spinach, kale, eggplant, garlic
- Fruit: Pineapple, orange, lemon, berries
- Healthy oils: Olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil
- Dairy products: Yogurt, low-fat cheese
Furthermore, take into account the following:
- Drink enough liquids
- Make sure you eat three portions of veggies and two portions of fruit every day
- Use herbs, vinegar, or lemon juice instead of salt and salad dressing
- Meat contains a lot of saturated fats and cholesterol so try to avoid it
- Sometimes award yourself a meal that you’ve been craving, you will feel better, and the key is in moderation.
1-day meal plan based on this list of ingredients:
Check it out:
1-day clean eating diet menu plan
Kale smoothie with pineapple and chia seeds
Green salad with salmon, asparagus, and pesto
Blueberries, raspberries, and a cucumber
Clean eating diet pros
- Eating fresh and healthy food
- Eliminating sugar, salt, and alcohol
- Increasing the intake of fruit and vegetables
- Improving your digestive system
Clean eating diet cons
- It may take you a longer time to prepare your meals, especially if you decide to make your own meals from scratch.
- And, you might need a pretty good blender.
What about physical activities?
You should increase your daily activities such as walking as much as possible, taking the stairs, and using every chance to burn calories.
Park your car and walk to the store instead.
So, what’s the bottom line?
Clean diet is not just a diet.
It is a lifestyle.
Even though clean eating brings a positive change by including high-value nutritious food, you shouldn’t expect long-term results by following this diet for a couple of days or weeks.
Clean eating is far from the classical diet concept and the best way to describe it is as a combination of diet and lifestyle.
The main principles of clean eating are: cutting out processed food, reducing the intake of salt, sugar, and alcohol, and increasing the intake of vegetables and cereals.
Try to have a balanced diet, be moderate and you will be healthy and slim.